Monday, February 16, 2015

Moving right along!

We have completed some of the next steps in our IVF journey.  Moving right along!  On Friday 2/13/15, I saw my Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE) again for a Saline Infusion Sonogram (SIS) and Trial Embryo Transfer (TET). 

The SIS found no lumps or bumps in my uterus—it’s perfect and ready to go!  My RE took measurements of the uterus and ovaries, and she also looked for follicles in both ovaries.  While she would like to see at least 10 follicles between the two ovaries before harvesting, she only counted nine on Friday.  However, given my poor reproductive health, nine is a very good number.  We are hoping that the hormone therapy along with the fertility diet and acupuncture will help us get to 10 eggs before April, which is when we are hoping to harvest and transfer. 

The TET went really well and was a fast a process.  This is good news and it gives us hope that the actual transfer will go smoothly.  The process consisted of using ultrasound guidance to insert a catheter into the uterus.  In the actual transfer, the embryos will be placed into the uterus with the catheter. 

We also got results from the labwork I had done the previous week.  My AMH and FSH were tested.  Both are tests of ovarian reserve—the remaining egg supply and the quality of those eggs.  My previous AMH was 1.2, and it improved to 1.3 this time.  While the improvement is great, the number is still abnormally low.   For someone my age (33-years-old), AMH should be somewhere around 1.7-2.1.  My previous and current FSH level is 7.5.  Again, for someone my age, less than 7.0 would be ideal.  I basically have the ovaries of a 40-year-old.  So, again, we are hoping that all of the therapy I am going through will continue to improve these levels. 

After the labwork, SIS, and TET, my next step was to wait for ovulation, which I have been testing for every day since my last cycle.  Yesterday, 2/15/15 I finally got the “surge” we have been waiting for!  I contacted my RE’s office today to let them know, and now we will be moving on to the next hormone therapy—Estrace.  Normally, birth control would be the next step, which helps prepare the ovaries for stimulation.  However, this step is not ideal for someone like me who has very few eggs and poor egg quality.  Rather than helping, birth control can suppress the eggs so much that the eggs don’t come out of it, resulting in a poor outcome.   Therefore, we move on to Estrace.  This hormone is used to reduce symptoms of menopause, but is also used in IVF to supply estrogen, stimulate growth of endometrial lining, and make resting follicles more sensitive to the upcoming fertility medications.

In hopes of helping my emotional state (because I am certain to fly through many emotions), I recently joined a support group with other women experiencing fertility struggles.  I had my first meeting with them yesterday and was happy to meet another woman also going through IVF.  I am excited to have a supportive group of women that will let me speak freely about my journey and feelings, without bogging down my friends, family, or husband.  But, my fingers are crossed that this whole experience will be a positive one!

..................................................................................................................................................

I’ve been asked by several people why I have created this blog.  For some people, this may be way too much information or information about intimate situations that people don’t want to know about.  The primary reason for this blog is to document every step of this journey for myself and for Andrew, so we can always go back and read what we did and remind ourselves of test results and what emotions we experienced.  When all is said and done, these early steps may become a blur to us, but I never want to forget any part of this journey. 

Another important reason for this blog is to hopefully help other women and/or couples going through similar struggles.  It’s been helpful to me that so many people that have gone through fertility struggles and IVF have reached out and shared their stories.  I am appreciative of that, so I want to be open about our journey in an effort to help others. 

Andrew and I are so lucky to have so many loved ones in our lives.  We have many friends and family members that care so much about us, and we feel very thankful for that.  This blog also offers updates to those caring people, so they don’t have to feel awkward to ask us what is going on.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the love and support! 


written on 2/16/15

No comments:

Post a Comment