Sunday, April 19, 2015

Things are looking up!

The world works in mysterious ways.  Yesterday, we had one embryo with high quality grading--AB--and it was transferred.  The other two embryos were graded CC and were deemed not viable.  Our Reproductive Endocrinologist told us that the Embryologist would continue to watch those two embryos for another 24 hours.  If, and it was a big IF, those two embryos continued to grow and improve, they would freeze them for a future transfer.

We weren't really expecting that to happen, given the poor quality.  But then the phone rang at 10am today and I saw my doctor's name on the caller ID.  Without getting my hopes up, I answered the call.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing!  One of those CC embryos changed over night and became an AB embryo!  She wanted us to go into her office ASAP so she could make another transfer.  I had to pause and ask her, "are you serious?!?"  She said, "yes, I am serious...get here as soon as you can."  A very large smile emerged, and I think Andrew was filled with more excitement than I was, if that is even possible.

So, off we went, and within 1-2 hours we had our second embryo transferred.  Here is a picture of the little latecomer:
The picture of this embryo is unique as it is contracting.  Once it gets to the expanded blastocyst phase, it contracts and expands to get out of the shell, preparing for implantation.  It was transferred at just the right time.  

The end-all goal is a successful pregnancy.  While we are hoping that at least one embryo will implant, we will be ecstatic if both do.  

Below is a picture of us right before the second transfer today. You could not wipe these smiles off of our faces if you tried. 



Now, we anxiously await the 27th, when we will find out if either of the embryos have implanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment